Saturday 17 October 2009

Pomegranate and Apple Jelly

Recently I was given a huge bag full of apples. So far I have made 2x apple pies, 1x apple crumble, 1x double recipe of Devonshire apple cake, 8lbs of apple chutney and I still found myself with another 7lbs of apples.
I was looking through by recipe books for inspiration when I came accross a recipe for Pomegranate and Pear jelly. As I did not have any pears left (turned into 7lbs of Pear and Pecan chutney) I thought I could adapt the recipe to accomodate some of the apples. So the following is what I came up with.

Pomegranate and Apple Jelly

3 lbs cooking apples
1 lemon
1 litre carton of Pomegranate juice
1 tspn ground cinnamon
1/2 tspn ground ginger
approx 3 lbs preserving sugar

1. Wash the apples and cut into 1/2inch chunks. Add to a preserving pan.
2. Cut the lemon in half, squeeze the juice into the pan of apples, then add the lemon halves to the pan. Sprinkle the spices onto the apples.
3. Pour over the pomegranate juice. Cover the pan (I used foil) and bring the apples to the boil. Reduce heat slightly and let simmer for about 25 mins.
4. Remove from the heat. Carefully add the apple mixture, along with the juices to a sterilised jelly bag. Let this slowly drip into a bowl for at least 4 hours to allow all of the juice to be released.
5. Discard the pulp. Measure the juice and add to a large saucepan. For every pint of liquid, add 1 lb of sugar.
6. Slowly bring to the boil. Once the sugar has disolved bring to a rolling boil. You can now either use a sugar thermometer and let it get to jam temperature, or you can spoon onto a cold saucer and push with your finger to see if it is set. This should take about 7 - 8 mins to reach the set stage.
7. Carefully pour into sterilised jars (I used 8oz jars) and let cool. When jelly has cooled and set, lable the jars and store in a cool place away from direct sunlight.
8. Once opened, keep refrigerated and use within 3 months.
9 This jelly keeps unopened for about 2 years.

This is lovely served with Pork, Chicken, Turkey, a strong cheddar cheese of a sharp goats cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment