Sunday 18 October 2009

Devonshire Apple Cake

It's a cold grey day here. Fancy something warming for tea. I still have about 5lb of apples left, so there is only one thing I can cook that fits the bill, and that is my Apple Cake!

The original recipe came from my mother, but I have played around with it, and, in my opinion, improved on the recipe!! (sorry Mum)

Devonshire Apple Cake

8oz S.R. Flour
4oz caster sugar
4oz butter
1 tspn ground cinnamon
pinch of salt
1oz sultanas
2 large bramley apples
¼ pt milk
1 tbspn demerara sugar


1.Heat the oven to gas mark 4, (350*F or 180*C)
2.Peel, core and chop the apples.
3.Rub the flour and butter together to form breadcrumbs, then mix in the sugar, salt and cinnamon.
4.Add the sultanas and the peeled, cored and chopped apples to the dry mixture.
5.Add the milk, a little at a time, until a soft dropping consistancy is achieved.
6.Put the cake mixture into a greased tin, then sprinkle the demerara sugar on the top.
7.Bake until springy and coming away from the side of the tin (about 1 – 1 ¼ hours)
8.Leave to cool for at least 15 mins in the tin. Serve warm with some clotted cream.

Freezes well.


© Juliana Meilton 1986

1 comment:

  1. This sounds wonderful! Similar to Dorset apple cake which is one of my favourites! Have you a recipe for sticky ginger cake? I have tried a few but can't seem to find a recipe that works!
    lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete